Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2009 is coming...

...and as usual, people freak out. It might be to a lesser extent than in previous years (The crisis-mania makes people spend less even if they're not affected by it.), but it is happening nonetheless.

As I see it, it's no more than the end of an arbitrarily defined length of time. Sure, we went around the sun one more time, but there's lots of astronomical "milestones" that happen in defined times and we make no significance of them. It seems to me like people forget time is continuous while expecting this important jump from 2008 to 2009. The fact that given our time zones this happens at different times in different countries is even more depressing in my mind. That countdown is not really so important, is it.

Why then the big deal about new years? Here's a few alternatives I suggest, pick your favorite or come up with your own.

a) Any excuse to party works. People like partying for no reason, but they love to party if they have a reason to do so.
b) Some people have had a really bad year and they'd like to move on, forget about it and start from scratch.
c) Some people don't think about it and just get excited because everyone else does.

I think most people have a combination of a) and c) going on. Most people are stupid remember, so it's not really surprising.

People who fit in b) I can understand. I feel bad for them - I really do - because I've been in those shoes. Very uncomfortable shoes might I add.

So, what have we learnt? New years is a stupid exercise if you're a stupid human being, but it is a perfectly valid way of forgetting bad years and having a fresh start.

If you've had a tough year, I hope you have a nice celebration tonight.
If you haven't, I don't care what you do, just don't drink and drive or you might kill some innocent bystander.

No comments:

Post a Comment